Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Carnival Newbie

Ahhh, Mardi Gras...Carnival time...king cake season.

In my late teens and early 20s, I could count on two hands the number of parades I actually went to. Large, loud crowds and people throwing things at my head just wasn’t that high on my to-do list.

Then almost six years ago I met my boyfriend John. We began dating and I soon discovered his favorite holiday revolved around the colors of purple, green and gold. He is a member of the Krewe of Hercules, a fun-loving group whose parade kick-starts the Carnival season in Houma. To my surprise, I quickly became jealous of John’s ride. I knew some day I wanted to be a part of it.

This year my friend Sydney and I decided to join the Krewe of Hyacinthians together. It was an exciting summer, getting to know the ladies on my float, discovering that my cousin Kim was joining my float as well. (It’s her first year too. Have a great ride Kim!) The biggest surprise of all came in November when the court was presented.

Yes, dear readers, this anxiety-ridden Carnival-newbie is going to be a Maid for the Krewe of Hyacinthians. I have come full circle, from being a “take it or leave it” Mardi Gras fan to full-fledged royalty.

And I’m scared to death.

Have you seen the pounds of feathers we have to wear? And you want me to curtsy to my queen with all that on my back? Yikes! What happens if I trip on my hem in front of all those people? Have I mentioned I’ve never even been to a Hyacinthians tableau? I often feel like I’m going to toss my cookies just thinking about it!

Anxiety disorder aside, I am incredibly excited about this entire experience. I am going to be a part of an amazing tradition. I am honored to be a part of the 60th anniversary year of Hyacinthians. Look for me on Sunday, February 27th. I’ll be the one with 50 pounds of yellow feathers on my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment