Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The gift of time

And just like that, a New Year is upon us again. It’s amazing how fast time flies by. It changes from “I’ll do that tomorrow” to “I gotta get started on that” to “Dang it, the deadline is today!” In the world of PoV, it often seems that we actually skip whole months. At the beginning of January, I have March stories being turned in. February stories have been ready to go since December, and April is just a blink away. You think you have trouble remembering what day it is? We really do live life in fast-forward at our office.

In December’s “Trenches” I mentioned my plan to slow down a little and enjoy Christmas a little more. Well, I made the effort and it paid off. I gave my grandmothers a special gift, handmade with all the love in my heart. I gave them the gift of Time. My time with them, one-on-one. Time to really get to know them, to ask them those questions that I always wanted to ask, to take a trip down memory lane hand-in-hand with them. There is so much that I want to know, and when you really break it down, so little time. These women are my family, my heritage, my history. They are my only link to people I’ll never know and never had the chance to meet.

What better gift could I give than the guarantee that they will live on forever through oral and written histories that we can pass down. I sure will have a heck of a time topping this one next Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment