Wednesday, November 25, 2009

November's Trenches

NOVEMBER 2009

I’m on a boat! Well, maybe not yet.

I am going on a cruise. Talk about the power of peer pressure. A group of my seven closest friends has decided to book a cruise. I reluctantly agreed to go. This goes against my nature. I have an irrational fear of cruise ships. I have never been on one before, yet I feel a strong aversion to them.

I am afraid of pirates and icebergs. (Yes, before you ask, my cruise departs from New Orleans and travels in the Gulf waters that are projected to be a warm 80 degrees and are probably constantly patrolled by anti-pirate armed forces.) I am afraid of being seasick the whole time. (I can’t enjoy a hammock without feeling a little queasy.)

I am afraid of small confined spaces. I am afraid of large crowds. (We did get a room with a large window and I have studied the layout of the ship to ensure I know where all exits are.)

I am afraid of being quarantined on the ship when we return to port due to some strange tropical, digestive system altering virus. (Have I mentioned our cruise goes to Key West [part of the U.S.], and Nassau [it’s a five star resort]?)

I have decided I am going to face my fears, grab the Dramamine, and board that ship. Worse come to worse, I get off the boat and don’t get back on. I think I could handle taking up residence in Key West! I’ll send you a postcard!



No comments:

Post a Comment