Saturday, December 3, 2011

Another Man's Treasure

“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.”

If you could find an original, authenticated, autographed copy of this quote from the guy that first said it, someone in my new TV lineup would probably buy it and then make a small fortune selling it to a collector he just happens to know.

I have been relentlessly watching shows with historical value that provide me with endless entertainment, like “Auction Hunters,” “Storage Wars,” “Pawn Stars” and “American Pickers.” I can’t get enough of these colorful characters, most of whom make a living buying and selling old storage lockers and units. They never hesitate to bid, and sometimes continue to bid just to drive up the price for a competitor.

My favorite character on these shows is a toss-up between Ton from “Auction Hunters,” who loves stuff with motors, guns and things that go boom, and Dave from “Storage Wars,” whose unmistakable “Yeeepppp!” can be heard from across the parking lot of the storage facility he is bidding at.

One of the reasons I like these shows is the information I receive—amazing facts that I learn as my favorite vultures descend upon their new moneymaker. I have learned more about Americana than I ever thought possible. As items are discovered, a short history of the items and why they are valuable is given. I have learned about collectibles like flintlock firearms, Oswald clocks, circus posters and political paraphernalia, such as buttons and dolls.

The people in these shows view everything with dollar signs in mind. It makes the pack rat in me wonder how much potential value is hidden away in my attic or garage. But even if I did have a priceless piece of “who-knows-what,” I wonder if I would even consider that “whatchamacallit” to be valuable, or just an old “thingy” that was inherited. Then comes the big question: Who in the world do I sell it to?

These shows have endless resources willing to authenticate, give historical significance to and appraise items ... and a never-ending array of vendors ready to buy their newly acquired junk, or should I say ... treasure?

No comments:

Post a Comment